So What Happened Was… (and here I ramble on)

This thing…
This thing, that honestly me, Mrs. Blabbermouth doesn’t even really know how to put into words here on ye old blog. I guess I’m kind of afraid if I do put it into words then, poof, it won’t be real anymore and it will all disappear into the internet cloud somewhere. So is the story of my life. But here goes… no guts no glory.

Over ten years ago after losing the sitter for my twins and then not being able to get flex time at work to pick the twins up early from school I realized I could not handle the demands of being a designer that did it all for a mid-level (and I’m embellishing here with the mid) house and I became a stay at home/work from home mother. Thinking I’d find all these great freelance jobs instead I found myself doing all sorts of things from, hand sewn wedding gowns, to becoming a closet design “expert” at an organization store, to making a line of cute baby blankets, to selling stylish though not terribly well executed denim handbags at a local flea market. All this to say I’ve tried a lot on my road to tapping at the keyboard and writing my first romance.

And with that first came the first rejection, the first of more than I dare to count over all these years and six complete manuscripts. But for some reason, though with each rejection the pain never dulled, I kept writing and sending out queries. Still believing in the love and the dream.

I like to blame friends (you know who you are), my writing groups, the love of my family (unconditional) but I think most of all it was my own stubbornness. You see I could not forget that the day I got that first rejection and (silly) me saying (out loud), “it’s too hard I should just give up.” I can still hear my DH’s calm voice as he said nonchalantly, but with the slightest challenge. “It’s up to you, but maybe you give up too easily.” Grrrr! It’s the challenge that pulls me to that man. He had me and I love him for it.

Gosh, how many years ago was that? We weren’t even living in our current house and the twins were still so young and really he should have known that I never back away from a challenge. Part of me thinks maybe he did. It’s just not in my make up to give up. So I didn’t. I forged ahead. Stopping and starting. Hopeful and then doubting. Sometimes hating the new story ideas that would pop in my head at the most inconvenient times. Always cursing the day I decided to be a writer and that stupid challenge.

And then just a few weeks ago I get an email from an editor, the fabulous and may I say super smart, Jennifer Lawler saying, “I hope this manuscript is still available and I’d love to offer you a contract.”
What the what?! All I could do, Dear Friends was look at my phone in disbelief. After all these years I didn’t know how to react. The DH was home and all I said to him was, “Hmm, that’s interesting.”
You see after so many years of NO (ok, sometimes no thank you.)  I didn’t even know a yes when it was looking me in the face. No fan fare. No jumping. No shouting. No good  job you. Just a cautious, “interesting.”

But weeks later, with contemplation, some pats on my back and some ‘good on yous’ and letting this get in my spirt I can now say this is a YES. This is real!

Yes, I’ve been contracted by Adams Media to be a part of the launch of their new line: Crimson Romance with my contemporary romance that is as of now titled THROUGH THE LENS. It’ will be e-pubbed and POD and hopefully out late Summer.
Holy Smokes things are moving fast! That is a Yes!
Finally a YES!

You all sit with that and ponder on how it’s “interesting” too. While you’re at it head on over to Facebook and like Crimson Romance’s page over there.
In the meantime I’ll be figuring out my next steps. What the what?!

Best,
Kwana

P.S. I’ll be writing my contemporary, a little bit sexy romance under the name K.M. Jackson.

P.P.S. Yikes! Does this mean Nana and my mother will be getting a Kindle?

Image from here. LOL I’ve used it before and it works here again.

Tags: , , ,

33 Responses to So What Happened Was… (and here I ramble on)

1. Megan says:

YAHOO! So glad to see this here. So happy for you. Just SO.

2. Congratulations Kwana! I knew it was only a matter of time. Yippee! The first drink is on me.

3. Jax Cassidy says:

A BIG congrats!!!!! I knew this day would come. We must celebrate. Woohoo!

4. Rhonda Helms says:

<3 <3 <3 <3

5. Karli says:

I’m so excited for you! This is a dream come true for you! I can’t wait to read it! Yeah,you! Yes is the most awesome word in the world! Congratulations on following your passion and getting to “Yes!”.

6. pve says:

How does one go about getting an e-atuograph?
    Does such a thing exist. Yes?
    Wishing you all the best~ Persistence and perseverance do pay off!
    pve

7. janicu says:

Congratulations! Thumbs up from me. :)

8. HOORAY!!!!!!!! Congratulations on this break, you deserve it so hard!

9. Nicole says:

Woohoo! Perseverance pays off indeed! I’m so proud of you neighbor! Xoxo

10. Emma Petersen says:

WOOT! WOOT! Congrats chicka! I think it was your news alone that averted the zombie apocalypse!

11. Major congratulations! So incredibly excited for you!

12. Joyce says:

Oh Kwana this is fab news!! I’m so happy for you I have tears in my eyes!!!! I just got home after 11.5 hours in the office and knew I missed something on Twitter. Big hugs!!!

13. Hooray & cheers all the way from Alaska to you!!!! I am excited to cheer you on & soon be able to read your book!!! ((hugs!!))

14. Beth Yarnall says:

Woohoo!!!! Way to go Kwana. Major congratulations. *raises glass in your honor* Here’s to many more sales!

15. BarbaraG says:

Congratulations on your contract. Here’s to many more!
    BarbaraG

16. Deidra says:

Oh my goodness, Kwana! Congratulations! I never ever doubted! You must be over the moon!
    Cue music! http://youtu.be/3GwjfUFyY6M

17. I knew you could do it! I knew it! YAYAYAY!!!

18. Lise Horton says:

A shining example of determination, humor, fortitude, talent and dreaming. Enjoy your dancing with joy moment!

19. Snack Queen says:

This is so bloody FANTASTIC!!! You deserve loads of accolades! Can’t wait to read your book! Congrats!!!

20. Laurie says:

Yay, Kwana!!!! Congratulations! I’m sooooo happy for you! I all-too-well understand the “constant no” stage, so I can completely understand your hesitation and doubt when you first got that call! But I’m so glad your hard work and dedication has paid off! (We all knew it would, but it’s great that you finally know, now, too!) :) Big congrats to you!

21. Thank goodness for men who challenge us.
    Congratulations from a fellow Crimson Romance author!

22. SuperWendy says:

A BIG WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. kwana says:

Wow this is so overwhelming. I can’t thank you all enough for this outpouring of love. It’s truly appreciated and I will remember it forever.

24. Simone says:

Ohmigosh! You just explained why I haven’t given up in spite of rejection letters…dreams do come true. This is just the pathway to many, many more books for you! I just feel it! I’m so excited for you! Your determination and never giving up spirit is what has brought this dream into a reality! Congrats to you and I hope you’re totally celebrating!

25. Kwana, I can’t tell you how delighted I am to hear your news!

I knew it would happen for you and one day I’d be sending congratulations. I can’t wait to read your first book!

Kandy xx

26. Kimberley Troutte says:

Awesome! I’m so happy for you. Enjoy!

27. Jeff Salter says:

Always enjoy a great success story for a “first-time” … but it’s even nicer when I already know that author.
    Congratulations.
    BTW, my first is due out within a couple of weeks, I hope. “The Overnighter’s Secrets” with Astraea Press. My 7th complete ms., but the first to be published.

28. Shannon McKelden says:

Congrats, Kwana!!! I’m so happy for you. I know we’ve been kicking around the same circles for years, and I LOVE IT when someone succeeds after lots of hard work and dedication! You deserve it, girl….so live it up and enjoy it!

29. That is fantastic news! And oh so sweet after so many years. Hope you mold one of your future heros after your DH!!!!!

30. Mrs. Pretty says:

Yeah, I’d definitely call that “interesting”. So happy for you – congratulations!

31. Janet W says:

So thrilled thrilled THRILLED for you — the power of persistence — and looking forward to doing my fave thing with your book: hitting the One Click Buy button!!

32. YAYAYAYAY!!!
    So happy for you, Kwana!

33. Elen Grey says:

I’m just reading your news having been pretty much off the social media network for a month. I am over-the-moon happy for you, Kwana. And, yes, I ran right over and “liked” your FB author page. Congratulations!!